The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) installed Shawn T. Kelly, FASLA, PLA, as its president for the 2018-2019 term. Kelly was sworn in during the President’s Dinner at the ASLA 2018 Annual Meeting and EXPO in Philadelphia. He succeeds Gregory A. Miller, FASLA.
In his remarks at the dinner, Kelly outlined his vision for the Society and the role of landscape architects in addressing such critical environmental issues as the growing worldwide scarcity of potable water. He also called upon members to help him raise public awareness about the profession.
“ASLA is growing in scope and reach, as it must to be the voice of our ever-changing profession,” Kelly said. “While we must honor our roots, our ‘why’, we also need to embrace the opportunities for progress. We are, in fact, a vehicle for that positive change. We must also be the authors for that positive change.”
Kelly has practiced landscape architecture and planning in Arizona, California, and Wisconsin, with projects on three continents and multiple countries, as well as multiple states in America. He is principal of the Kelly Design Group, LLC, in Williams Bay, Wisconsin.
Kelly also teaches full time at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in the Department of Landscape Architecture. He earned his master’s degree in landscape architecture from the University of Arizona.
Joining Kelly on the 2019 Executive Committee are:
- Wendy Miller, FASLA, 2019 President Elect
- Gregory A. Miller, FASLA, Immediate Past President
- Haley Blakeman, ASLA, Vice President, Communications
- Lake Douglas, FASLA, Vice President, Education
- Kona A. Gray, FASLA, Vice President, Professional Practice
- SuLin Kotowicz, ASLA, Vice President, Finance
- Eugenia Martin, FASLA, Vice President, Government Affairs
- Dennis R. Nola, ASLA, Vice President, Membership